Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What is better method to backup postgresql DB.

> > new to postgresql. need to backup postgresql DB, which way is better to
> > backup DB.
> >
> > from training, I learned that we can backup the whole PGdata and other
> > directories to achieve backup goal, originally I was planned to schedule
> > jobs to use pgdump to backup all DBs.
> >
> > so which way is better for backup or there is other way to backup PGDB.
>
> Use pg_dump or pg_dumpall.  If you're at the level that you have to ask
> this question, then you'll have nothing but trouble getting reliable
> backups by backing up directories.
>
> Also, since you're new to PostgreSQL, I _HIGHLY_ recommend that you don't
> assume that you're getting backups until you can demonstrate that you can
> restore them.

Good advise! For all my production systems I do a life backup/replication
using slony plus a nightly pg_dump which is then copied to a remote server.
That way, no matter what happens, I have a backup that's a maximum of 1 day
old (if I have to use the pg_dump) or a few seconds behind (if the replicated
database isn't hit - which sure is also remote and not in the same physical
location)

Whatever you use, always make sure you actually can restore the backup.