Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Getting ROW_COUNT from MOVE in 8.3

Hi, Peter.  You wrote:

But is there any way for me to get, in 8.3, the
number of rows over which a cursor has skipped?  Keep in mind that
after
this count has executed, we're then going to rewind the cursor,
chunking
through the result set with a separate function.
You could store the query result in a temporary table.
Yeah, that's what we're doing now. But (a) I'm hoping that move will be faster, because we're not copying data, but just moving through it, and (b) I wanted to benchmark the different options. But I'm glad to know that this isn't a bad way to go, given the lack of information.

That said, I'm sort of surprised that the psql client is able to show us the number of rows through which MOVE operated, while we're unable to access that number in pl/pgsql. But hey, that's yet another welcome addition to 9.0...

Reuven

--
Reuven M. Lerner -- Web development, consulting, and training
Mobile: +972-54-496-8405 * US phone: 847-230-9795