Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Adding a New Column Specifically In a Table

Carlos Mennens wrote:
OK so I have read the docs and Google to try and find a way to add a
new column to an existing table. My problem is I need this new column
to be created 3rd  rather than just dumping this new column to the end
of my table. I can't find anywhere how I can insert my new column as
the 3rd table column rather than the last (seventh). Does anyone know
how I can accomplish this or if it's even possible. Seems like a
common task but I checked the documentation and may have missed it in
my reading.

ALTER TABLE users ADD COLUMN employer VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL;

The above command dumps the 'employer' column at the very end of my
table which is not what I want.

Thanks for any assistance...

Why do you want to do this?

Columns should only be referenced by their names and not by any kind of ordinal position. You should treat the list of columns as being an unordered set, and so your new column isn't actually in 7th place, and you can display your columns in any order you want. Relying on any intrinsic ordinal position of columns is just going to get you into trouble.

I also didn't see from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-altertable.html how you would do what you asked.

The page http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Alter_column_position also shows some contrivances you could go through to get what you want, but it is better to just not care about order in the first place.

-- Darren Duncan