Search Postgresql Archives

Re: migration from PointBase to PostgreSQL

On 8/10/2010 12:35 AM, Frank Zhao wrote:
We are supposed to migrate PointBase to PostgreSQL.

Do you have any advice on how we should approach this, and how to do
estimation on the workload?

The current PointBase is running on Hub and Spoke by using UniSync for
backup and restore purposes. Is there any similar technology of UniSync
in PostgreSQL.

As you haven't told anybody what UniSync *is* or provided suitable links, I'm going to guess it's some kind of replication system. If it isn't, please provide a description or direct links to useful info so nobody has to try to hunt around on Google.

If you need replication, you have options including:

- Slony, Bucardo, etc
- Built-in 9.0 master-slave replication

See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

I am new to both PostgreSQL and PointBase.

Wow, what a fun task to drop on someone new to _both_ platforms. I don't envy you.

Consider hiring someone with experience in database migration/conversion. It'll probably save you money and time in the long run. See: http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support . It's worth taking note of which of the companies listed there regularly have people showing up on the mailing lists (using the archives), rather doing incident support but not participating in the community.

--
Craig Ringer