Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_relation_size / could not open relation with OID #

Tom Lane wrote:
We could prevent your query from failing if we did something like having
pg_relation_size() return NULL, rather than throwing an error, if the
OID it's given doesn't turn out to correspond to a live table.  I'm not
sure if that'd be a net improvement or not --- it certainly seems to
reduce the system's ability to detect simple errors

I've struggled with scripts using pg_relation_size doing strange things because of this more than once. How about a) return NULL and b) log at NOTICE that you just asked for something undefined? That would let scripts run without interruption in some of these race condition cases, while still generating some clue the user was likely to see that there was a problem when people were just using the thing blatantly wrong--the biggest subset of cases that produce errors now I suspect.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us