Search Postgresql Archives

Compilation of optional packages

Hallo,

At our institute we decided to use PostGreSQL as our new server-based database system. The installation of PostGreSQL 9.0.0 on SLES 10 x64 went fine. However, before I start configuring the system and start creating databases, users etc. I am wondering, which functionality I need to give the system right from the start that I cannot add later. The problem is that I don’t know what users might need in the future and being new to database management I might find out that some administrative functionality is necessary later on.

Thus, my question: using “./configure –help” quite a lot of optional packages are listed for language support (PL/xxx) and network access/authentication, plus there is the feature to enable native language support. Do I install all these, just in case, or is there a possibility to add those packages and features later on as necessary? How does one go about this? Thanks a lot for your advice in advance.

Jutta