Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Trade Study on Oracle vs. PostgreSQL

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Steve Atkins <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Again, you'd need to run them on comparable hardware and tune them both well.

Actually I'd argue that pgsql gets better hardware since you can spend
the money you'd spend on oracle licenses on hardware for pgsql.  At
$20k per cpu on oracle (or more if you need clustering, GIS, or a few
other features) you can buy a pretty damned impressive pgsql server to
compete.

But definitely don't put pgsql on an old workstation and expect it to
keep up with a real server running oracle that's been tuned properly.