Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Configure default for sorting of null-values?

On 7/09/2010 10:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Rob Gansevles<rgansevles@xxxxxxxxx>  writes:
Does anyone know if this is configurable?
Or should I file a feature request?

It is not, and a feature request is probably going to go nowhere.
The reason configurability seems like a bad idea is that null sort
direction is wired into things like index contents.

It'd probably have to be done at CREATE DATABASE time, like the setup of the database encoding is.

Personally I can't say I really see the point. I suspect database designs that rely on the sort order of NULL anyway - they usually seem to be trying to use null as a concrete value rather than an "unset/unknown".

Even if that's not the case here, I suspect (OP) that you'd have to produce a viable patch for this feature if you want it supported, as I doubt there'll be enough interest for anyone else to want to implement it.

--
Craig Ringer