Search Postgresql Archives

Re: coping with failing disks

Am 02.09.2010 16:32, schrieb Vick Khera:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Joachim Worringen
<joachim.worringen@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Would the consistency of the database be affected if all indices are
suddenly gone?

The unique constraint is implemented as a unique index. So I'd say
"yeah, you could break your consistency".

True. But we could use a separate index space only for our own indices - what if storage for this goes away?

Why not purchase a robust RAM/SSD disk system designed for DB use
rather than hacking one up on the cheap?

15k SAS drives and Intel SLC SSDs are not really on the cheap side (especially in quantity to fill up a storage array), but we still want to get the most of them. Things like RAMsan (Texas Memory Systems) are currently considered overkill here. Anything else (no, not Fusion I/O)?

It's a matter of tradeoff between performance and availability.

 thanks, Joachim