Search Postgresql Archives

Strange/random overload of the server

Hi,
I have some strange problems with my server.

Randomly  the server gets overloaded with queries.
Queries are accepted and never executed, thus reaching max_connections limit .
This I/O wait in top command reaches up to 90%
Couple of restarts (and sometimes vacuum and reindex of my biggest tables) fix it for a while (about a week or so).
I suspected full-text indexes going wild, but after i dropping indexes i had same issues again.
I found that file system have errors. Can this lead to this kind of behavior ?
I am planning downtime to fix the FS errors since this can't be done on mounted file systems.

Any ideas ?