Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres.conf settings

Thanks Martijn and to the others who replied. Here's some more detail...

Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx>:

Not a bad start, but to be sure you really need to provide a bit more
info, like:

- How many simultaneous clients you're expecting?
- Lots of updates, or is it read only?
- Lots of simple queries, or fewer but more complex queries?

Basically, what's the workload?

About the workload, I'll try to be a bit more specific:

- Number of clients: I am the only person using my database. Usually I run one or two queries at the same time but I can have more sessions open at the same time (but typically <10). Hence I set max_connections = 20.

- INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE queries are rare.

- However, I use a lot of CREATE [TEMP] TABLE, CREATE INDEX

- Also frequent is the use of COPY TO/FROM to import/export datafiles that will be handled by other applications (R, Python etc.)

- SELECT queries: usually simple in design but handling large datasets which require JOIN and GROUP BY (e.g. "SELECT a, b FROM t1 INNER JOIN t2 ON t1.c = t2.c ORDER BY a;" where t1 and t2 could have millions of rows).

- Background information: I'm a geneticist/bioinformatician using postgresql to manage the data I or others produce. I'm not a proper database programmer who run a web server.

Many thanks for all and any feedback!

Dario

--

Dr. Dario Beraldi
Institute of Evolutionary Biology

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.