Search Postgresql Archives

Re: InitDB: Bad system call

Hello,

Well, this seems to be clear proof for what everyone suspected all
along: your kernel is rejecting SysV-shared-memory calls.  I'm too tired
to go check that that shmctl() is the first such syscall during the boot
sequence, but it looks about right.

So we're now back to the question of *why* it's rejecting those calls,
when you apparently have the proper support configured.  I'm afraid
you now need to seek the assistance of some FreeBSD kernel experts;
it's beyond the ken of a simple database hacker ...

7.0-STABLE is ... old.  I would recommend upgrading to something more
recent before moving forward with this "bug", as I expect the FreeBSD
community to recommend such anyway.

FreeBSD 7 is from 2007. Thats not very old - you use FreeBSD for services which just should run (like postgresql :)). In my supervised server-park are half a dolzen FreeBSD-Server with uptimes around 7 years. Upgrading is something you do very very rarely. And till now i didn't get such recommendation from the community. Its more likely to add a new server with a new Version of FreeBSD.

Hm... i can't start debugging the kernel of a live-maschine. I will add a new server therefor. Maybe i can reproduce the problem at another machine for the FreeBSD-Community.

Thanks to all for you help und time,
Torsten