Search Postgresql Archives

Re: deadlock

 On 08/11/10 6:32 PM, David Fetter wrote:
does anyone have any suggestions for what to look for, or what sort
of common partition management mistakes in the application could
lead to this sort of deadlock?
DDL is a "don't do it at peak load" event.  More realistically, it's
more like a "down time" event.  Maybe when we have "real"
partitioning...

Thats an *ouch* for this application, as the load is a 24/7 thing... the database has to handle a steady stream of events and requests at a fairly high rate coming from a factory operation, and we need to prune weekly partitions while all the rest is going on.

The developers (and operations) are coming from an Oracle Enterprise environment, where this all just works. I've been pushing for years to give postgres a try, this is the first substantial database deployment.