Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy

Michael A. Peters wrote:
I run CentOS 5.x and I do not like to upgrade vendor supplied packages. My
version of pg_dump is from postgresql-8.1.21-1.el5_5.1 - I'm assuming the
8.1.21 is the important part.

That's a bad policy with PostgreSQL. I guarantee you that the problems you will run into because you're on PostgreSQL 8.1 are far worse than any you might encounter because you've updated from RedHat's PostgreSQL to the RPM packages provided by the PostgreSQL packagers. There are hundreds of known limitations in 8.1 you will absolutely suffer from as you expand your deployment that have been fixed in later versions. Yes, you can run into a packaging problem after upgrading to the PostgreSQL provided 8.3 or 8.4 that doesn't exist with the 8.1 they ship. But that's a *possible* issue, compared to the *guaranteed* limitations that are removed by using a later version of the database.

Also, take a look at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
8.1 will be a frozen release no longer receiving bug fixes real soon now.

You've already run into the first "It seems that my version of pg_dump does not accept..."; expect many more of those if you decide you must stay on 8.1.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us