Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump-restore concurrency

On 21/07/10 20:21, paladine wrote:

> I have a linux daemon that parses some datas and writes to db continuously
> but my db is growing unexpectedly so I must reduce disk space once a week.

I assume you're also deleting from the database, given that its growth
is a problem.

It sounds like you need to fix your autovacuum settings. Make autovacuum
much more aggressive. This should prevent the growth, so you don't need
to do all this messing around with dumps and reloads or VACUUM FULL.

See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Introduction_to_VACUUM,_ANALYZE,_EXPLAIN,_and_COUNT

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/VACUUM_FULL