Search Postgresql Archives

Differences between Postgres and MySql

John Gage, 25.06.2010 11:50:
I am astonished to discover that MySQL does not support
regular expressions much less something like tsvector.

Getting really off-topic now: but MySQL does support Regex

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/regexp.html

I have done an extensive comparison between MySQL's support for regexp and Postresql's and, frankly, there is no comparison. The support in Postgresql is far greater than in MySQL. This is not a flame. It is intended to help anyone choosing between the two programs.

The best example I can present is the regexp_split_to_table function in Postgres. I use it all the time. It is enormously convenient. Anyone analyzing text is ecstatic to have such a powerful function readily available.

This is a qualitative difference.

John