Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts

Tom Lane wrote on 17.07.2010 19:35:
Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@xxxxxxx>  writes:
Tom Lane wrote on 17.07.2010 16:36:
Well, nobody's offered any actual *numbers* here.

I measured the runtime as seen from the JDBC client and as reported by explain analyze (the last line reading "Total runtime:")

The "runtime" from explain analyze really should not be measurably
different, since it doesn't include parse time or data transmission
time, and you ought to get the same execution plan with or without the
column names.

Interesting.

My intend _was_ to exclude data transmission from the test by using explain analyze, but I'm surprised that it doesn't include the parsing in the execution time reported from that.

I'd dismiss those numbers as being within experimental
error, except it seems odd that they all differ in the same direction.

And it's reproducable (at least on my computer). As I said I ran it 20 times (each run did it for 5,10,... columns) and the values I posted were averages of those runs.

Regards
Thomas