Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql

On 6/25/2010 4:22 AM, John Gage wrote:
There are features, are there not, that Postgres has that MySQL does not
have?

Yes, a big one would be data integrity. Most people would not consider data integrity an optional feature in a DBMS, but apparently MySQL does. Try this in MySQL:

create table t1 (f1 varchar(10))
insert into t1 values('this is a long string')
select * from t1

When I do this on a version 5.0.44 MySQL DB (the latest I have conveniently available), MySQL processes the insert without complaint, silently truncating the string to "this is a". Why people aren't bothered by this is beyond me.

--
Guy Rouillier