Search Postgresql Archives

weird sortorder issue

Hi,
I've got a produktive pg-server V8.4 on SuSE and my dev-server on winxp localhost.

The 2 servers produce different results in text sorting.
The local server sorts as expected but the productive db produces unexpected orders. They have identical data. That the testbox has daily backups of the productive db.

E.g. there is a table that holds projects.

A select project from projects order by project; delivers on productive-db
StatStuff
S&T Evo
STP
S&T Polithings
Syback
How can the "STP" be between the two "S&T"s ?
Actually one should expect the two "S&T"s should appear as the first projects with S because '&' < 'A'.

Another example is our " Sales" project. I made the blank in front to get it always on the top of the list. This works with PG on windows but PG on SUSE ignores the leading blank and puts sales among the other projects that start with S.

The DB on WinXP is        ENCODING = 'UTF8'
       LC_COLLATE = 'German, Germany'
       LC_CTYPE = 'German, Germany'

The DB on SUSE has ENCODING = 'UTF8'
       LC_COLLATE = 'de_DE.UTF-8'
       LC_CTYPE = 'de_DE.UTF-8'

There is no de_DE.UTF-8 on Windows and no German, Germany on SUSE so I expect them as equal?

Can someone point me to the right server option that controls the sort order to get the SUSE server right?