Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Re: Moving a live production database to different server and postgres release

Ulas Albayrak wrote:
Unfortunately, the switch to Windows is out of my hands. If it were up
to me I'd stick with BSD. When you say postgres on Windows is known
for its "mediocre performance", do you mean it's slower or buggy? Or
both?

Three examples that have varying proportions of slow and buggy in them:

-Without risky registry hacking, Windows systems won't allow more than about 125 connections to the server at a time if you're using the standard service infrastructure to manage the server. See the last entry at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows for details. If you need more clients than that connecting to the database, you'll need to either tweak the registry, run it outside of the services model, or put a connection pooler between the clients and the database.

-UNIX systems normally allow giving the database up to several gigabytes of RAM for its direct utilization. Windows installs have to be kept in the 128MB - 512MB range because they get unexpectedly slower when the database has more memory than that.

-Anti-virus software installed on Windows servers has to be very carefully screened for compatibility with the database, with really random sorts of problems popping up when you have a bad combination. Any time you let your AV software get updated, you're potentially exposed to the database becoming unreliable afterwards.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us