Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Partial indexes instead of partitions

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Leonardo F <m_lists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For "inserts" I do not see the reason
> why
> it would be better to use index partitioning because AFAIK
> b-tree
> would behave exactly the same in both cases.

no, when the index gets very big inserting random values gets
very slow.

Do you have any empirical evidence for this being a real problem, or are you simply guessing? I have tables with 500m+ rows, on commodity hardware (4 SATA disks in raid 10), and inserts to the indexes on those tables remain quite acceptable from a performance standpoint.

--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@xxxxxxxxx