Search Postgresql Archives

Linux kernel OOM killer rewrite

Hi folks

It looks like there's a kernel OOM killer rewrite in progress. Perhaps there's a chance of finally getting some sane heuristics for shared memory in place? There's no indication that it's going to happen without intervention, but there's talk of rewriting the badness() function that determines what to kill, so there's more hope than usual.

lwn.net has written about the details. Here's a link that'll let you read the (otherwise subscriber-only) article in the current edition.

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/391222/ce3840ccc36afcd1/

( Please support lwn if you like their work - they're an incredible resource ).

I'm not on lkml, but may brave the shark-infested waters for this. It'd be better if people with more of a clue and more background on the issue got involved, though, which is why I'm posting here.

--
Craig Ringer