Search Postgresql Archives

Re: create index concurrently - duplicate index to reduce time without an index

Gareth.Williams@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm concerned that just because I *can* create duplicate indexes, it doesn't mean I *should*.  I'm worried it might actually break the service worse than the locking that I'm trying to avoid. Does anyone know which index will be used if there are duplicate ones and whether there is likely to be a problem?

This is a simple disk capacity question. If you can run CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, and it doesn't effectively take your server down due to the disks being overrun with data to process, it's perfectly fine to do so. Only in the case where the index creation itself causes what is effectively client downtime, due to the increased load of the build, could that aproach be worse than the terrible locking that comes with non-concurrent rebuild.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us