Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

On 05/31/2010 01:29 AM, Michal Szymanski wrote:
Hi,
Currently we use Debian, but it chosen by our OS admnistrator. Now we
can change our OS and it is question what Linux edition will be the
best. We would like have access to new versions of Postgres as soon
as  possible, for Debian sometimes we had to wait many weeks for
official packages.
Some thoughts:

If the machine is only used as a database server, consider Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS. They are great for installing and keeping up-to-date - just add the PGDG repo into the yum repos configuration files. It matters not if I'm on 5.1, 5.2, 5.3... The updates to the RPMs tend to become available concurrently with source releases and the file/directory/path settings tend to follow PostgreSQL's worldview. But if the machine is used for multiple purposes you may be frustrated by the long-term stable nature of RH. For example, if you plan on using PHP on the same machine you will need to stick with the RH default version which is a couple releases old or go through the hassle of configuring/compiling PHP or locating third-party RPMs - PHP does not supply RPMs.

Ubuntu, with its 6-month release cycle, tends to include more recent versions of software. But there is a delay getting updates and it is more of a headache installing new PostgreSQL on older Ubuntu. There isn't a nice, neat source for PGDG vetted .debs. You will also get an installation tailored for the Debian/Ubuntu view of where files should go. On the other hand, this structure lends itself nicely to running different major versions in parallel and they provide some scripts to handle major-version upgrades. The scripts have worked for me but YMMV. At least the old installation is still available if the upgrade fails.

Cheers,
Steve