Search Postgresql Archives

Query memory usage

Hi Everyone,

I have a table with several hundred million rows of timestamped values. Using pg_dump we are able to dump the entire table to disk no problem. However, I would like to retrieve a large subset of data from this table using something like:

COPY (SELECT * FROM history WHERE timestamp > '2009-01-01') TO STDOUT;

Executing this query causes our server to consume all available swap and crash. Can anyone help me figure out what needs to be done to allow this query to execute? How long it takes doesn't really matter as long as it can be performed reliably. The database currently lives on a Red Hat EL 5.3 server with 16GB RAM and 4GB swap running PostgreSQL 8.3.7. Possibly relevant lines from postgresql.conf:

shared_buffers = 4GB
work_mem = 32MB
maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
effective_cache_size = 8GB