Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL code runs slower as a stored function

I wrote a blog article about this: Google for "Why is my function slow?"

Greg, great article.  It's funny and humbling how I thought I'd invented the wheel with this workaround, but now it suddenly appears to be common practice.  I guess I'm on the right track.

I'm curious though-- your examples were plpgsql and you mentioned at the bottom that the plpgsql documentation mentions the one-time plan limitation.  Does the same hold true for stored functions in sql?  My slow function in this case is written in sql, so I'm guessing the answer is 'yes'.