Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How many threads/cores Postgres can utilise?

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Piotr Kublicki <Piotr.Kublicki@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dears,

Sorry to be a royal pain, but I cannot find it anywhere in the
documentation: how many threads/CPU cores Postgres v. 8.4 can utilise?
We're thinking about installing Postgres on a virtual machine (RedHat 5
64-bits), however not sure how many CPUs can be wisely assigned, without
wasting of resources. Can Postgres utilise multi-core/multi-threaded
architecture in a reasonably extent?

Like Craig mentioned, each connection uses one core basically, and the
OS can use one or maybe two.  But that means that on even moderately
busy servers 4 to 8 cores is very reasonable.  On modern hardware it's
easy to get 6 or 8 cores pretty cheaply.  2P machines can have 12 or
16 cores for pretty cheap too.

the author mentions virtual machines, where you're trying to squeeze as much workload as possible onto those 8 or 12 cores ...