Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Performance issue

A.Bhattacharya@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear All Experts,

I am using in PostgreSQL 8.3.5 database on windows 64 bit OS.

However, I have a batch program written in Java which processes the data and populates them into tables in Postgres database.

I have *622,000 number of records *but it is taking almost *4 and half hours* to load these data into the tables.

I have a simple function in db which is being called from Java batch program to populate the records into tables from flat files.

I have the below system configuration for my database server.

Database Server

*PostgreSQL v8.3.5*

Operating System

*Windows 2003 Server 64 bit, Service Pack 2*

CPU

*2 * Quad Core AMD Opteron Processor 2376 @ 2.29 GHz*

Memory

*16 GB RAM*

Disk Space

*total 2.5 TB [C drive – 454 GB & D drive 1.99 TB]*

with one thread doing inserts, the other 7 cores will be idle. but you're almost certainly disk IO bound.

OTOH, if you're calling a function (is that pl-pgsql, pl-java, pl-perl, or what?) for each insert, you could be compute bound on that single core. really depends on what that function is doing.