Search Postgresql Archives

Re: solaris tarballs and pl/java

Greg Smith wrote:
John R Pierce wrote:
The tarball for 64bit 8.4.3 on Solaris Sparc is missing some ./pgxs/... files I seem to need to build pl/java. they exist in the 32bit version but at least of them, Makefile.global, appears quite build specific.

Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious from the error you were running into in your last message that you'll need to do your own PostgreSQL build here first, then add pl/java on top of that. Binary packages aren't necessarily good at giving you everything needed to build your extensions, and even if it did build I'd be suspicious of it until it passed testing.

You can see more about how the OpenSolaris packages are built at http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/postgres/ ; Makefile.sfw in particular might have clues as to what's going wrong here. There are separate code paths in several places there for 32 vs. 64 bit builds, and you seem to have run into a divergence between the two.

having not gone down the path of building my own language extensions before, how portable are they between postgres builds? What I build needs to eventually be installable on a 8.4-community 64bit install as they want to add pl/java support to a running production database. I can specify they use the same JDK etc.

Last night, I started trying to piece together the environment for ./configure for postgres based on what pg_config gives me, but it aborted pretty early with missing stuffs... by then it was 1am and I was fried so I am taking a fresh look this morning... k, I'm already farther along and moving forward... (had to add /usr/sbin to the path to find dtrace, now I'm sorting out readline vs libedit...)... and stopped on a 'cannot compute size(off_t)' but I'm sure I'll figure that out...