Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problems backing up

----- Original Message ----
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> [ COPY fails to dump a 138MB bytea column ]

> I wonder whether you are doing anything that exacerbates
> the memory requirement, for instance by forcing an encoding conversion to
> something other than the database's server_encoding.

Our backups are done with the "-F c" (in addition to the normal user/host/port options). As far as I know that shouldn't be
triggering any type conversions (which is UTF8 all-around). If you still think that might be the case, is there a way to force
it _not_ to do the conversion?

The restores are done using the same option. We've recently hit a similar problem where restoring a backup fails with the
same type of out-of-memory error. Backing up that database works fine however, as does reading all data from it.