Search Postgresql Archives

Re: desktop heap usage in windows

Magnus Hagander wrote:
No, there's a problem with the Desktop Heap getting exhausted because
of system DLLs that allocate from it whenever they are loaded into a
process. It's in the Windows FAQ on wiki.postgresql.org - IIRC it's
right at the bottom.

And yes, we still have the problem - it's a Windows problem, really,
not a PostgreSQL problem. It simply can't deal with many processes the
way the system DLLs are built. The exact limit varies between
installations - likely due to third party DLLs being loaded, like AV
and FW software.

It may be that this is actually not a problem with the 64-bit version
of 9.0. I haven't tried that - probably should.

k, so the FAQ entry here [1] references the MSKB article [2] which, under Cause 2, talks about the SharedSection in the registry key [3]

Presumably, tis the 3rd value, the 512, thats used by non-interactive sessions, thats the one that needs boosting?

fwiw, on my win7 pro 64bit desktop, that reads...

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,768 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off
       MaxRequestThreads=16

which is larger (768) than the value shown in the KB article [2] (512)

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#I_cannot_run_with_more_than_about_125_connections_at_once.2C_despite_having_capable_hardware

[2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802

[3] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows