Search Postgresql Archives

Re: any built-in function to get time in seconds?

zhong ming wu wrote:
I have been using this one liner c function that I call my_now() to
get the number of seconds since some fixed point in the past.  I find
it more convenient than built-in now()
and if I want abstime I do abstime(my_now()).   Thing is everytime I
do a major version upgrade I had to recompile this and it's a pain in
the neck.  I feel there must be something
built-in with pg to get the same thing since I can get abstime from it
like that.

Well you haven't specified which fixed point in the past. But if you want to get the number of seconds since the unix epoch use:

 extract(epoch from current_timestamp)

Scott