Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "1-Click" installer problems

Craig Ringer, 01.04.2010 09:24:
I do not like the installer's suggestion to put the data directory into
c:\Program Files either, I think this should default to %APPDATA%

That seems fairly sensible *IF* it checks very carefully to make sure
the postgresql user does not have a roaming profile, ie they're a local
user not a domain user.

I think the installer should simply not "suggest" any directory, but force the user to select one manually (maybe even activley prevent c:\Program Files). I don't know if this is possible (or how hard it would be) but I think a very useful feature for the installer would be to try to check the permissions that the service account has on the chosen data directory.

If the datadir was put in an account with roaming profiles enabled,
Windows would try to sync the datadir to and from the profile share on
the server at every user login/logout.

Ah, didn't think of that one.
such as a virus scanner or some funky option.

True.
In the german Postgres forum there are several posts regarding that topic.

It seems that especially Norton and the Windows built-in Antivirus do not work well with Postgres.
Personally I have no problems with Sophos and Avira

Thomas