Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition

On 31/03/2010 10:27 PM, Joshua Berry wrote:
My vote would be to follow Craig Ringer's advice to run the pg server in
a virtual machine. I'd choose something like vmware/fusion or if you
want license free options, I think they exist that can run hosts on
win32 and BSD/MacOS.

But if you wanted to avoid dual booting altogether and
parallels/fusion/whatever can run you win32 apps well enough, I'd run
the server on the Mac side and let the win apps connect to it via the
virtual network adapters. This is how I've run things on my Mac with
decent results.

Yeah. Not having Pg in a VM is better, given the choice. It's hard to say how trustworthy fsync() behaviour on various VMs is, for one thing. I'd still use a VM over ntfs-on-mac or hfs+-on-windows, but running it natively and using it over tcp/ip is always going to be preferable if you can.

--
Craig Ringer