Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition

Unfortunately, but no unexpectedly, I have been moderately stupid in this question.

Using Bootcamp, the OS's are *not* running simultaneously. Hence, the server, which is on the Mac is not running when Win is running. There is the possibility for the Mac to *read* files in Win, but that is as far as the cross-talk goes. Win does not know that Mac exists.

That is Bootcamp.

There are other solutions, Parallels is one, that permit Win and Mac to run simultaneously. Win in that case is a virtual machine. In that case the two "OS's" talk to each other. But it is still a cludgy environment, and I don't want to spend the money on another Win OEM OS.

Sorry to have not really done my homework on this question, and thank you for your suggestions. Clearly, TCP/IP would work...if the Mac were running at the same time.

As a footnote, given the entirely different virus susceptibilities of the two systems, it is probably better to run a separate server and data file(s) on each machine.

John