Search Postgresql Archives

Re: insert into test_b (select * from test_a) with different column order

This will not work for me as I do not know in advance what columns
exist in test_a or test_b. I only know they are called the same (and
have the same datatypes).

So is there a dynamic way in which I can generate the INSERT statement
given the name of the two tables?

You can write a procedure e.g. in pl/pgsql that will check the column names from a system view like pg_* (I don't remember now) and create the query from the column names and some sql keywords into a text variable. Later you can use EXECUTE for executing such a query from a variable.

regards
Szymon Guz