Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?

Alan McKay wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These questions always get the first question back, what are you
trying to accomplish?  Different objectives will have different
answers.

We have a real-time application that processes data as it comes in.
Doing some simple math tells us that a disk-based DB cannot possible
perform fast enough to allow us to process the data.

Now, if your pg_xlog directory is a problem, then you either need
bigger faster hard drives, or your data is more transient in nature
and you can recreate it and you put the whole db into RAM.

When we only saw a 3x improvement in speed with the RAM based DB, we
were still seeing a fair bit of disk activity but were not sure what
was going on.  Then we thought about pg_xlog and moved it to RAM as
well, but as I recall still not a great improvement.

Have you considered using one of these:
http://www.acard.com/english/fb01-product.jsp?idno_no=270&prod_no=ANS-9010&type1_title= Solid State Drive&type1_idno=13

Gordan