Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?

On 3/26/10 10:06 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Scott Marlowe<scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
These questions always get the first question back, what are you
trying to accomplish?  Different objectives will have different
answers.
We have a real-time application that processes data as it comes in.
Doing some simple math tells us that a disk-based DB cannot possible
perform fast enough to allow us to process the data.

I have to ask the obvious question... as we develop solutions which must process 100,000 queries a second. In those cases, we use a combination hash table and link-lists. There are times where SQL is not the right choice, it is great for simplifying indexing and locks - but prior to SQL *we* had to write code guys... and it sounds like you too need to go back to old-school programming techniques.

O.