Search Postgresql Archives

Re: managing tablespaces like files?

Sam Carleton wrote:

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I don't think PostgreSQL is going to work for you if thats a
    requirement.   A tablespace doesn't contain the metadata for the
    items in it, thats stored in the main cluster space (pg_catalog, etc)

Would it be difficult to export the metadata as part of the shutdown process of the service? Or am I simply reaching a bit too much? (For the record, my application exists because I run into this type of "things don't work that way" and than I find some interesting solutions <grin> But maybe this time I am simply better off with Firebird.)

and what happens if someone copies your directory without shutting down the instance?

sounds like trouble in the making to me. me thinks you're better off sticking with a file based database and not trying to use a server based one.