Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FSM and VM file

On 05/03/10 15:14, akp geek wrote:
Hi All -

                 I have turned on the auto vacuum on the slave and for some
reason the db is getting bloated up. The master size is only 1G and the
slave is at 9.2GB now. I did cluster on couple of tables also. did any one
run into this situation? Can you please help?

OK - so autovacuum is now running on the slave, but your database keeps growing anyway.

So - either:

1. You have a long-running transaction blocking the vacuum.
2. Your autovacuum isn't running often enough.

The first step with #1 is to check for idle transactions. Look in the system view: pg_stat_activity
  SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;
Is there anything there that started a long time ago (probably marked IDLE IN TRANSACTION)?

For #2, I would start with seeing what tables are affected, then check your configuration settings. It might be that autovacuum_naptime is too large for your workload, or (auto)vacuum_cost_delay is too high.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-autovacuum.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-AUTOVACUUM

--
  Richard Huxton