Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Curious plperl behavior

On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Richard Huxton <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On 24/02/10 21:34, Tom Lane wrote:
Hmm. Jeff found some relevant material on perlref. Should that link be added? Should the link(s) be more specific than telling you to read the whole d*mn man page? Neither of those pages are short, and each contains
a wealth of material that isn't related to this issue.

Hmm - perhaps a suggestion to google for "perl nested named subroutine".
That seems to give a set of relevant results. Includes perldiag,
perlref, our mailing lists and Apache's mod_perl (which makes sense).

Seems like a reasonable idea to me --- any objections?  We should
probably say "search" not "google" but otherwise seems like a fine
solution.

Some sort of extended explanation would be helpful I think. Admittedly, I didn't see the warning in the docs as I didn't look but if I did see that I'd be very curious as to what exactly is dangerous. The reality is you cannot safely refer to variables outside the scope of the sub. Maybe just that sentence would suffice. and a "for more details see the perlref documentation"

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/