Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL fails to start

On 2/20/2010 4:42 PM, John Gage wrote:
I have had the same/similar problem on a Mac.  Postgres creates a user
"postgres" and the only way that user can see files is for them to exist
outside of any other particular user's home directory. I placed the
files in the root directory!? I would like, I think, to give "postgres"
privileges in my home directory (emphasis, I think). As a sign of
despicable laziness, could I ask where the granting of user privileges
is documented in the 8.4 docs?

John

directory/file permissions is an OS behavior, not a postgresql behavior. Since OSX is unixen, you could make sure that you and postgres are are members of a common group. Then, you can grant whatever group privileges you want to the files/directories that you want common access to.