Search Postgresql Archives

Postgres physical directory structure meaning

I want to know about the meaning of various directory present in data folder. Mostly what will the 'base' folder contains? The reason of this is recently in the datafolder 'global' was deleted unknowingly which leads to entire DB crash in a second. We found a tool to get the data from the base folder as sql queries, but many table content are missing.
Pls tell what kind of data will be present in each folder, if possible sent the doc link.

Arvind S