Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres Triggers issue

Adrian Klaver wrote:
On Thursday 11 February 2010 1:57:39 am Albe Laurenz wrote:
u235sentinel wrote:
I have a strange problem we noticed the other day with
triggers.  We're
running 8.3.3 on Solaris 10 (intel) and have a feed that comes in
regularly to populate a table we're working on.  The feed works just
fine inserting rows however the following trigger stops the feed until
we remove the trigger.  Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

---

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION r.m_t()
RETURNS trigger AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
 INSERT INTO temp_m_t VALUES (NEW.*,1+1);
RETURN NULL;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER tafter
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
ON r.m_a
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE r.m_t();
What do you mean "stops the feed"?

Can you describe the behaviour in database terms?
What exactly happens, and how does it differ from what you expect?
Are there error messages? If yes, could you quote them?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

In addition to the above I am not quite sure about this:

INSERT INTO temp_m_t VALUES (NEW.*,1+1)

Are you trying to have an incrementing number for the last value? As it stands you are are always going to get 2 inserted into that field.
Yes this was intentional for testing purposes. We were trying to see if we can do it and it worked. Now we can get into the really fun stuff :-)

Thanks to all for their help!