Search Postgresql Archives

Re: dynamic crosstab

Pavel Stehule claviota:
But what I would like to do is to redirect the output of the function (that
is, the 'result' cursor) to a view, which will be used in other places. I
thought something like FETCH INTO would do the trick, but it doesn't.

Also, I need, at some point, to export the output to some CSV file. I
usually do a quick bash script as follows:

echo "COPY (SELECT * FROM dh_litho ORDER BY id, depto) TO stdout WITH CSV
HEADER;" | psql bdexplo > somefile.csv

hmm ...it cannot work :(. You cannot forward FETCH ALL statement on
server side - without programming in C

Ach! Too bad... Oh but... I used to program in C, long time ago, on HP-UX...

in this case you need small application for reading cursor and
transformation to CVS

Actually, if the small application was reading cursor, and transforming it to a VIEW, this would solve both problems at once:
something like:

CREATE VIEW crosstabbed_thing AS
(cursor_to_dataset(SELECT do_cross_cursor(...)));

And then:
echo "COPY (SELECT * FROM crosstabbed_thing) TO stdout WITH CSV HEADER;" | psql > youpi.csv

And there we are!
What about this plan? The cursor_to_dataset() should be written, in C if I understand well. I have to dig out my old C book, and browse through postgresql APIs, code examples,etc. I guess...

A+
Pierre

Pierre Chevalier
   Mesté Duran
   32100 Condom
 Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
               05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
 Émail    :     pierre.chevalier1967CHEZfree.fr
 icq#     :     10432285
 http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/
 Logiciels Libres dans le Gers: http://gnusquetaires.org/