Search Postgresql Archives

Re: more docs on extending postgres in C

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 15.42:14 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> I'd also appreciate some suggestion about dev environment and best
> practices on Debian, something that could help me to compile,
> install, test easily on Debian.

(Disclaimer: Haven't done any postgres related programming so far, so this
might need adjusting.)

The desciption for package postgresql-server-dev-8.4 includes

[[[
 This package also contains the Makefiles necessary for building add-on
 modules of PostgreSQL, which would otherwise have to be built in the
 PostgreSQL source-code tree.
]]]

so this package plus C compiler and the other usual tools should get you
started.  (There is also the 'build-essential' Debian package which will
ensure you have a basic C/C++ development environment.  For other packages
you might need to build extensions you could look at the build dependencies
of the postgresql-8.4 *source* Debian package; I'm offline right now but I
think <http://packages.qa.debian.org/postgresql-8.4> should get you this
information.)

If you find that you can not compile an extension with only this server-dev
package but need other stuff from the PostgreSQL source, I'm sure the
PostgreSQL packagers would appreciate a bug report.)

(I hope I'm not just telling you stuff you alredy know; sorry if so.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 20th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3176