Search Postgresql Archives

Re: large string storage in Postgresql

AI Rumman wrote:
I have an individual text string of 2 GB.
I may use Postgresql 8.4 also. But what data type should I use to store this column value of 2GB?

GB data objects ni a database is going to make backups, maintenance, etc a real pain

normal data in postgres can not be over 1GB, so you will need to use the Larg OBJect facility, where you store an object ID in your actual table, then store the data via a special Large Object api, http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/lo-interfaces.html which can handle up to 2GB max.

quite frankly, i'd as soon store stuff that large as files and and store their path in the database.