Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving database cluster

On Thursday 14 January 2010, Fernando Hevia elucidated thus:
> > The easiest way is to shut down Pg, move the 'main' directory
> > somewhere else, and then point a symlink to the new location.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I had considered this first but then I wasn't sure if there would be
> any performance penalty.
> The current main directory sits on a 'slow' RAID 1 volume while the
> new one will sit on a 'fast' 12 disk RAID 10 volume.
> I guess the symlink shouldn't be troublesome but I don't know if some
> PG process will continually be reading this link encumbering somehow
> the RAID 1 disks.

I'm not sure how Pg does it, but I remember reading several years ago
that MySQL would, upon startup, "resolve" the symlink, and use the real
path name for the rest of its execution. I would assume Pg does
something similar.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com