Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Backup strategies with significant bytea data

Leigh Dyer wrote:
Hi,

For years now I've simply backed up my databases by doing a nightly
pg_dump, but since we added the ability for users to import binary files
in to our application, which are stored in a bytea fields, the dump
sizes have gone through the roof — even with gzip compression, they're
significantly larger than the on-disk size of the database. My guess is
that this due to the way that the binary data from the bytea fields is
encoded in the dump file when it's produced.

Have you tried another dump format? E.g. "-F c" argument to pg_dump?