Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Minimizing disk space

On 7/01/2010 11:27 PM, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
Heyho!

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 18.26:05 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
With this in mind: what can we tune to minimize diskspace (RAM-disk
space) usage?

[thanks to all for your input!]

Wow, here are some things but honestly Pg may not be the DB you are
looking for.

Well, parts of the code are shared with a server side component, which we
already ported from Oracle to pg, so licensing costs aside we were hoping
avoid having to maintain yet another different type of db backend (build up
know how, ...)

But if using pg won't work, I guess sqlite (or Ingres, which I haven't
worked with before) would be an alternative.  Although, for example with
SQLite, I'd have to check carefully if we don't need more features than it
has ...

Firebird is also designed for embedded use.

Pg will work - it just might not be as convenient and easy to use in that environment. If you're using Pg elsewhere, then it's going to be a trade-off between the cost of supporting another DB and the work required to make Pg do what you want.

--
Craig Ringer